Returning Veterans Exemption

A Returning Veterans Exemption is for veterans returning from active duty in armed conflict are eligible to receive a $5,000 reduction in the equalized assessed value of their property only for each taxable year in which they return.

Automatic Renewal: No, this exemption must be filed annually.
Application Due Date: The application will be available in early February and the due date will be announced at that time. 

How can a homeowner see which exemptions were applied to their home last year?
Check the Cook County Portal website, then review the Exemption History and Status section. 

đź“Ś Reminder: Exemptions appear on your second installment tax bill issued in the summer. To learn more about how the property tax system works, click here

Veteran Resource Fair


  1. Must be an Illinois resident who has served as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, Illinois National Guard or U.S. Reserve Forces.
  2. Returning from active duty in an armed conflict involving the armed forces of the U.S.
  3. Either own or had a legal or equitable interest in the property and used it as a principal place of residence on January 1, 2020. 
  4. Liable for the payment of property taxes.

Documentation Required to Apply 

  • If a veteran is discharged from active duty service, he or she will need to provide the Department of Defense DD Form 214 certified by the Cook County Clerk's Office or the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • If a veteran is still on active duty after returning home, they will need to provide military orders and a travel voucher showing the date of his or her return. The documents must state that they are returning from armed conflict involving the armed forces of the U.S. within the tax year that they are requesting the exemption.

Please Note: This exemption may be received in addition to any of the other exemptions.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for prior tax years?
If you were eligible for the exemption in a prior Tax Year but the exemption was not on your bill, you can apply for a refund or corrected bill by filing for a certificate of error. Learn more here.

+ Frequently Asked Questions

Due Date & How to Apply 

Applications will be made available by early February.